A plastic injection molding company is seeking to hire a Program Manager to lead plastic molding projects for automotive manufacturing companies. The Program Manager plans and oversees the implementation of multiple assigned projects, making sure that each stays within the stipulated timing and budget. Project scope for each assignment will be defined by Engineering Manager, but will normally include overall responsibility for multiple injection molds, assembly equipment, packaging equipment, and/or contract manufacturing projects. Primary function of Program Manager, regardless of scope of project, is to lead a cross-functional project team making sure that time, risks, costs, quality, and project resources are utilized efficiently.
• Ensure that molds and/or manual or highly automated equipment are designed and built to strict internal standards. Reviews and critiques mold and/or associated manufacturing equipment designs to ensure proper functionality, low maintenance, and ease of manufacturability. Provides customer with sound input on product enhancements – DFM/DFA.
• Oversee all testing, inspection, grooming and validation protocols required for customer submissions as well as ensure smooth internal release to production.
• Carry out all design & build requirements, planning, documentation, piloting, implementation, communication and coordination of projects to satisfy both internal and customer requirements.
• Oversee the quality and validation requirements and standards and help to ensures compliance with any safety or regulatory items.
• Leads weekly internal meetings and customer meetings as required to make sure that implementation of services is geared towards customer satisfaction. Manages and publishes timely Open Issues List (OIL).
• Obtain, negotiate, and evaluate quotes from vendors. Source molds and/or associated equipment to approved inside or outside mold makers.
• Frequently visit mold makers and/or equipment suppliers to review construction progress and participate in molding trials or factory acceptance trials (FAT). Consult internally with tool division and tooling engineers on mold designs.
• Provide internal estimates and quotations to customers for product changes (EC’s). Plan, initiate, qualify, and properly document all mold revisions.
• Lead the analysis and troubleshooting of manufacturing process to ensure low labor, low cost, and high reliability/quality.
• Recommend achievable quality levels/expectations to customer in a high volume manufacturing environment.
• Coordinate all auxiliary and secondary equipment necessary from assembly, decorating and packaging.
• Participate in RFQ process (cost estimating new programs) to assist in landing new business.
• Generate weekly internal progress reports as well as other reports per customer requirements.
• Travel as required to adequately support project needs and meet both internal and customer requirements.
In addition to an annual salary in the $90,000 to $110,000 range the company offers very competitive benefits and excellent relocation assistance.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Able to effectively lead a cross-function/departmental internal team.
• Demonstrated multiple project management and problem solving skills.
• Technical proficiency in injection mold tooling, automation, or equipment is desirable.
• Excellent external/internal customer and presentation skills to all levels in customer’s organizations.
• Statistical and financial knowledge is desirable.
• Experience in tight tolerance and safety-critical manufacturing of healthcare or automotive products.
• Demonstrated innovativeness and cost effectiveness with mold and equipment design.
• Familiar with scientific molding and engineering capability, including cavity pressure sensors, part diversion techniques, mold flow analysis, design of experiments, troubleshooting, geometric tolerancing, part metrology, SPC and robotics.
• Must be willing to travel both domestically and internationally approximately 30% of the time.
• Must be able to work independently, across all time zones.
• Good computer skills including MS Office applications and 2-D & 3-D CAD literate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Engineering degree desired and 3 – 5 years’ relevant design, build and validation experience in injection molds, or equipment – preferably in health care or automotive.
• Abreast of new technology in mold design/build and related plastics molding/manufacturing fields