A very successful, growth oriented plastics producer, serving a wide variety of end markets including medical, automotive, building products and key transportation segments, with more than 70 years in the plastics industry, is seeking a Project Engineer. In this role the Project Engineer will lead, expedite, coordinate, and exercise functional authority for planning, organizing, developing, integrating and completing of engineering and manufacturing projects to help define and meet customer requirements.
- Provide custom plastic part and tool designs that meet customer expectations and internal requirements for mold fabrication, manufacturing and quality.
- Drive the new product development process, including: tool/product design reviews, managing cost targets and technical customer support for launching new or existing plastic parts.
- Create and maintain development schedules, product plans, and successful communication of the scope for projects managed including: customer’s intent, quality targets, product specifications, timeline and materials requirement with internal and external contacts.
- Ensures customer satisfaction through strong communication, while fulfilling the role of technical liaison between customer and support resources, both internally and externally.
- Generate creative solutions that solve customer or internally identified problems, including plastic part design enhancements, automation, mold design, and processing enhancements.
- Look for continuous improvement opportunities in both products and processes contributing to overall cost reduction activities.
- Responsible for assisting in continued development of procedures, standards, controls, and processes through engineering and operations to improve team performance and reliability.
- Liaisons with internal Tool Rooms and external Tool Suppliers to ensure that predictable and robust molds are designed and built. Coordinates supplier activity with purchasing to ensure company objectives are met.
- Maintain appropriate project documentation files, including drawings, specifications, and customer information (inputs and outputs), that meets internal and ISO requirements.
- Researches and recommends continuous improvement ideas that advance technology in the area of product and tool design software, plastics engineering, and problem solving methodologies.
- Adhere to and apply engineering procedures, standards, and work instructions.
- Update and creates new procedures as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in plastics, mechanical, industrial, or electrical engineering.
- Minimum of five (5) years plastic part and/or injection molding experience.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills.
- Engineering software: Pro-E, SolidWorks, or equivalent; Microsoft Office: Excel, Project, Word, & PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to lead major programs. Strong Project Management experience is a plus.
- Strong people skills with a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to read and interpret CAD files, drawings, material requirements, and quality specifications.
- Ability to recognize and apply Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing to optimize process control.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, and trigonometry. Ability to apply mathematical operation to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instruction is mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Solid understanding of mold design, features, and components.
- Solid understanding of mold construction processes and equipment.
- Ability to determine mold parting line configuration, side action requirements, method of gating, method of ejection, draft, cooling requirements, and tool steel requirements.
- Experience with design of experiments, capability studies, method of measurement, and PPAP (production part approval process)
- A self starter with excellent problem solving, decision making, and follow through skills.
In addition to an annual salary in the $75,000 to $85,000 range, the company offer competitive benefits and relocation assistance.