A company that is a captive PVC laminate film manufacturer is searching for a Plastic Film Process Engineer. The Plastic Film Process Engineer is responsible for the film manufacturing processes and testing related to the design and manufacturing of PVC laminated films and non-laminated films. Responsibilities include providing technical guidance and hands-on expertise related to the processes and equipment to ensure optimal performance. The Plastic Film Process Engineer implements and deploys lean principles and techniques utilizing Lean and Six Sigma tools to introduce process improvements and cost reductions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing, implementing and managing the manufacturing processes and testing related to the development of PCV extruded film and reinforced membrane product.
- Provide technical support, guidance and training of equipment and processes.
- Implement process improvements to reduce scrap, reduce rework cost, optimum cycle times, improve production yields, manufacturability and quality.
- Utilize disciplined and proven problem solving techniques to determine root cause analysis for production issues and equipment downtime, develop solutions and implement changes.
- Support the Production team with product design and guidance as related to the manufacturing processes and production equipment and capabilities extrusions.
- Maintain and improve existing products, equipment, manufacturing processes
- Measure and manage process capabilities using Statistical Process Control (SPC) and Design for Experiment (DOE) methodologies
- Assist Quality Assurance, Production Managers with establishing the appropriate quality level for all prototype, pre-production and production
- Establish routings and determining Takt Time for production projects
- Perform time studies, line balance and eliminate non-value added operations
- Implement and deploy lean principles and Six Sigma tools to introduce and manage process improvements and cost reductions
- Produce, maintain and track SOPs as required. Train personnel on new or revised SOPs.
In addition to an annual salary in the $80,000 to $100,000 range and relocation assistance, the company offers a competitive benefit program that includes:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Prescription drug program
- Life and AD&D insurance (life insurance is equal to two times annual base salary)
- Short and long term disability
- 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution
- Paid vacation
- 8 ½ paid holidays
- Profit sharing
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Knowledge, Skills,& Abilities
- Experience in the plastics industry with high precision extrusion and processing equipment/machinery preferably with polyvinylchloride (PVC).
- Experience in one of the following areas: Thermoplastic polymers or film lamination.
- Knowledge of equipment for film extrusions and lamination and stretching/orientation equipment.
- Experience in dimensional inspection methods and associated inspection equipment.
- Thorough understanding of data acquisition and control systems.
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills related to manufacturing processes and production equipment.
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing Practices & Methodologies (Kaizen, 6S, Value Stream Mapping) and line balancing.
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge in all Microsoft Office applications.
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment.
- Effectively communicate with department managers, engineering, production and other departments.
- Team player, proactive and willingness to attend to small details.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Manufacturing Engineering plus 3-7 years applicable experience or proven performance.
- Lean Manufacturing certification a plus.