A privately-held, international consumer products company, specializing in the design, marketing and manufacturing of high quality, innovative housewares products is searching for a Senior Tooling Engineer.
The Senior Tooling Engineer reports to the Director of Operations and is part of the senior management team for the plant. The Senior Tooling Engineer will lead the activities of tool room employees, contractors or vendors and be responsible for all tool building activities, maintenance and repair. The Sr. Tooling Engineer will also be responsible for customer molding (sample) trials delivering solutions on-time, on budget and in accordance with safety protocols.
- Manage tool room and inventory of tools and third party production locations.
- Develop and maintain mold standards and mold documentation.
- Develop and approve tooling suppliers, new mold designs or modifications, molding processes and metrology.
- Manage mold construction, mold design review, process design, quality assurance and assembly process. Works with customer blueprints / specifications to generate design and cost feedback.
- Ensure all product quality attributes are met and all quality systems are supported.
- Perform analysis on customer returns to determine root cause of failures or complaints.
- Assist in developing scientific molding expertise of organization through training of manufacturing management, process technicians and manufacturing associates.
- Implements process control techniques and procedures, trouble shoots and advises on injection molding processes and tooling.
- Key member of plant safety committee driving implementation of safety system.
- Co-develop budget, capital requests, and cost improvement planning.
- Support manufacturing management in lean / continuous improvement activities.
In addition to an annual salary in the $80,000 to $95,000 range, the company provides an attractive compensation plan with bonus, a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Bachelor’s degree in a technical field is required, preferably in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in mold making or tool molding environment managing tooling, mold design, mold troubleshooting, maintenance and repair.
- Understanding of CNC cutting processes and injection molding processes.
- Project management skills and training.
- Strong trouble shooting skills. Able to analyze and solve complex technical issues related to equipment, injection molds, process and product quality.
- Proficient with CAD.
- Ability to read and comprehend blueprints
- Residing in the Chicago area.